Sunday, March 02, 2008

Sundays, and the Long Dark Teatime of the Soul.

Next to Tuesdays, Sunday is one of my lease favourite days. I don't know what it is but you can always tell when it's a sunday. I'm sure there are people cut off from the world, with no calendar, trapped on some tiny island somewhere with no hope of knowing what time or day it is.. and they'd still know when it was sunday, just something in the air. Douglas Adams once referred to Sunday at around about 3pm as the "long dark tea time of the soul" and I'm inclined to agree. There was a character in Hitchhikers, an immortal who travelled the universe insulting people because Sundays had driven him mad and there was nothing better to do. When you've had as many baths as you can take, watched as many terrible black and white WWII films...

In my case, today does at least have a purpose, it's just one that I despise. I'm going to Brussels this week, nice city but sadly all business and my chances of seeing the place are nil, following that I'm in Amsterdam. Plus side that does mean I get a weekend in Europe at a loose end without any idea where I really want to be.. im thinking maybe car hire and Southern France or Northern Germany (big difference I know..). Anyway, that does mean Sunday is lost to last minute "Oh crap I haven't prepared any slideware" and packing my suitcase. Packing for a week is a novelty for me, I'm usually stuffing any old junk into a suit case for only a handful of nights, this time I'm going to be away for 8 nights!

No doubt horrible ironing boards will be waiting for me.. and numerous travel disasters (I land in Brussels on a Tuesday!). So wish me luck...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home