Sunday, March 09, 2008

Globalization sucks....

Okay, maybe it doesn't suck.
As some of you know I'm in Brussels (Belgium for those of you geographically challenged, small country in Europe for those of you challenged beyond simple country whereabouts), and because of a meeting on Monday in the Netherlands I'm staying put over the course of the weekend. Yesterday, Saturday, I felt worse than a bag of spanners and decided to stay put in my hotel room, nap and catch up on email work etc. Today, being Sunday and reasonably fine outside I decided fresh air and shopping would do me some good.

So, I perambulated my way around Brussels city center with map in hand and camera for true tourist effect. I hada nice clear mission to get some presents for friends back home, including something unique and interesting and "belgian" for my beloved.

Unfortunately, and here's the reason for the title of the post.. the USA has got so great at not making anything itself and simply importing stuff, that all the best stuff I can get back home in Seattle. Godiva for example.. there was a big Godiva shop in Brussels, being Belgian chocolates you'd better expect it to be, but, it was no bigger than the one in Bellevue Square, two blocks from where I live and sold all the same things at pretty much the same price. Fashion, jewellry, chocolates, everything.. uniquely belgian, widely available at home.. grrrr

Eventually I gave up, grabbed a taxi and in terrible terrible french asked for somewhere that would have stuff I can't find at home (I probably said something completely different).. anyway, worked out, the guy took me to the dead posh boutique mall.. I managed to find various gifts and extortionate prices, but at least I'm done.

Anyway.. I hate globalization.
Hmph.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home